Sunday, July 24, 2011

The Story Board

The story board is another VERY popular choice in our jungle when it comes to picking products to demonstrate our learning.  Sometimes it is a story board and sometimes we do cartoon strips depending on what we need to communicate.  Either way-there are a load of things you can do and the products can be as different as the little monkeys in your jungle!

On my beginning of the year think-tac-toe, (here) I listed the story board as a product choice.  In this instance, students would select or make an appropriate template to summarize the story.  They are crazy about these templates at www.donnayoung.org.  This takes some careful planning because if you only have four or five boxes, you have to think about what needs to go in them.  In an assignment such as this one, I usually encourage them not to include the solution or resolution so they don't ruin it for their classmates.  The big idea is to get them to read the book, after all!


There are all sorts of electronic templates out there, too.  This site happens to be my favorite. The only drawback is that you can't save unfinished comix.  You either have to print or forward via email.  I have my students send them to my school email address and then I print a copy for them to keep.  Another nice thing about the email option is that I can forward the link on to their families for at home viewing!


Here's a sample I created using a set of our vocabulary words:  slumped, soggy, capable, strands, gigantic, credit and luminous.  Some of my monkeys that struggle with coming up with creative ways to use the words will sometimes just dialogue about the definition of the words.  I also modify this assignment by selecting 2 or 3 words that have to be included in the finished product.

Other Uses for Storyboards and Comic Strips:
  • Spelling Words
  • Character, Setting, Problem and Solution
  • Summarizing Plots
  • Alternate Endings
  • Inference    
  • Sequencing
  • Re-telling  

No comments:

Post a Comment